The 20-year old talent Pontus Tidemand won East Sweden Rally overall, which was run in Linköping this weekend, but it was not without drama.
After having been fastest overall in four of the first five stages, so was the car hit by an electrical fault on the service and Pontus an WRC/IRC codriver Emil Axelsson received a time penalty of 30 seconds to be too late out of service.
– “It was a little drama there but we decided to focus to continue at the same pace as we had done earlier, says codriver Emil Axelsson”
With eight of ten possible stage wins overall Pontus Tidemand won the rally despite a time penalty, 23 seconds after Pontus was Mats Jonsson and class number two Pelle Sääv was 46.5 seconds behind
With four wins and one second place of five driven events, the Swedish Championship gold is secured with one event left to run in this year’s Championship Series.
– “It feels wonderful and very happy to take my first national championship gold and my second overall victory in a event in the Swedish Rally Championships. My team and my regular co-driver Jörgen Nordhagen has done an outstanding job throughout the season plus Emil Axelsson who could jump in on such short notice this weekend. It has been very instructive to have such an experienced co-driver with me, says Pontus ”
Results East Sweden Rally, Linköping, 16-17th September
1) Pontus Tidemand, SMK Eda, Ford Fiesta S2000, 59.11,5
2) Mats Jonsson, Forshaga MC, Ford Escort WRC, + 23.0 secs
3) Per-Arne Sääv, V: a Östergötland MK, Skoda Fabia S2000, + 46.5
4) Patrik Johansson, Wäxjö MS, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX, + 1.07,6 min
5) Jocke Nyman, Jämtlands MK, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, + 1.14,1
Follow Pontus Tidemand on Facebook: www.facebook.com/PontusTidemand